JRE Installation for BEN Financials
Important Note: This document is designed for Local Support Providers (LSPs).
This document includes instructions on how to to install Oracle’s Java Runtime Environment (JRE) plug-in successfully and use an updated version of the BEN Financials litmus test. BEN users’ machines must have a support version of the JRE plug-in. Current guidance from Oracle is that end users can use the most current version of Java, not only the most recent certified version. As of January 20, 2014, this means that BEN Financials must use at least JRE 1.7_25 but can upgrade to the most recent version, JRE 1.7_51. This allows Penn’s constituents to keep their computers up to date with Oracle's most recent Java vulnerability fixes.
The current certified version of JRE can be downloaded from the BEN server. Simply remove the existing version from the user's workstation and the user will then be prompted to download the JRE when logging into BEN Financials. After logging into BEN the first time after the JRE install, the user will receive a pop-up message asking to trust the Java applet. The user should click Always Trust.
To download the newest version of JRE, please visit www.java.com.
Note: JRE is NOT required for end-users that only have access to the Requisitioner responsibility or use the Shopper Role.
Configuring JRE 1.7_51 and Newer Versions
With JRE 1.7_51, Oracle introduced new security settings that prevent the use of both BEN Financials and Webi/Business Objects in its default state but is configurable to allow the use of those applications. That configuration is done through the Java Control Panel. To use BEN Financials and/or Webi, the following must be done:
- In the Java Control Panel, click the “Security" tab.
- Click "Edit Site List ...".
- Click "Add" in the Exception Site List window.
- Click in the empty field under the “Location" field to enter the following URL: https://benfprod.isc-seo.upenn.edu
- Repeat steps 3 - 4 and add the URL: https://bobjprod.isc-seo.upenn.edu
- Click “OK" to save the URLs that you entered.
- Click “OK" to save changes made to the Java Control Panel.
- On shared computers, the Java security settings must be configured for each BEN and/or Webi user account.
- End users must have local administrator rights to change the default Java security settings.
Litmus Test to Confirm Connectivity to BEN Financials
- The user should login to the client system.
- Launch a supported web browser.
- Navigate to the following URL: http://benapps.isc-seo.upenn.edu/
- Login using the LSP48 Username and Password (Username and Password are the same).
- Select the LSP Testing responsibility.
- On the right hand side, under LSP Testing, select Invoices. The Find Invoices form appears.
- Enter 024047011 in the Invoice Number field and click the Find button. An Invoice form appears that corresponds to the invoice number.
- Close BEN Financials.