Pidgin is a supported instant messaging client for Windows. Instant messaging is the the exchange of typed messages between computer users in real time via the Internet. Pidgin supports chat services and protocols such as AIM, ICQ, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.
- Download the "Pennified" Pidgin for Windows installer
Configuring Pidgin for Penn's Jabber service
- Launch Pidgin. If it's the first time you're launching the program, you'll see the Welcome screen.
- Click the Add button
- In the Add Account tab, select XMPP from the Protocol: pulldown menu, enter your PennKey in the Username field, upenn.edu in the Domain field.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- In the Connection security dropdown menu, select. Require encryption. Enter 5222 in the Connect Port: field and enter jabber.upenn.edu in the Connect Server: field.
- Click Add.
- Enter your PennKey password when prompted.