These are software packages that assist computer lab administrators, or any support providers who manage a large number of networked computers, in the following areas: anti-theft solutions, security and data privacy, and/or malware detection.
LoJack for Laptops is theft recovery software from Computrace. When a laptop installed with LoJack is reported stolen, LoJack's theft recovery team works with law enforcement officials to recover the stolen laptop. LoJack for Laptops is available for Windows and OS X.
LoJack for Laptops is commercial software that can be purchased from the Computer Connection at an educational discount.
Search a computer to locate and secure potentially dangerous data such as U.S. Social Security Numbers. In many instances, data found is data the computer user may not know exists.
Identity Finder may be acquired by site license from the Office of Software Licensing.
Before deploying Identity Finder, your department should:
- assess risk of sensitive data already existing on local systems and ongoing risk of new sensitive data being saved on local systems
- develop departmental policies for sensitive data on local systems (allowed or not, encryption, laptop vs desktop, etc)
- determine required frequency of scans and develop regular schedule for scans of local systems (generally off-hours)
- develop procedures to deal with false-positive results
- develop remediation procedures (responsibility on local users, Idnetity Finder admins, etc.)
- develop standardized scan configuration for Identity Finder for department/organization
- establish buy-in from department head (to enforce policies and practices)
Tips and Suggestions
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) is designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware on Windows systems and is in common use by Local Support Providers at the University. Information Systems & Computing (ISC) suggests Malwarebytes as a supplement, and not a replacement, to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 12.x, which is the University's supported virus protection and spyware/adware protection for Windows.
MalwareBytes is free software which may be obtained from their web page:
HijackThis is freeware malware detection software from Trend Micro for the Windows platform. Its specialty is the detection of browser hijacking.
Warning: indiscriminate use of the removal options in HijackThis can prevent legitimate Windows processes from running correctly.
Hijack This is free software which may be obtained from their web page:
- Third-party analysis site for HijackThis logs
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is the University's supported and recommended antivirus/antispyware solution for Windows. While the Symantec Endpoint Protection page distributes the standalone (unmanaged) version of SEP for individual computers, a managed version (with Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, aka SEPM) is available to local support providers who are responsible for multiple computers in their organization to remotely install and manage the SEP client on their computers.
Symantec Endpoint Protection is Penn site-licensed software available to eligible affiliates. LSPs may contact the Provider Desk to acquire the SEPM version.