Ipswitch's WS_FTP Professional is the supported and recommended FTP client for Windows file transfers. WS_FTP Professional has a graphical interface for FTP that lets you log onto any host running an FTP server to download software. WS_FTP Professional can be used for authenticated or anonymous FTP, supports SFTP, and comes configured with a list of FTP sites of interest to Windows users.
The University transitioned its supported and recommended FTP client for Windows from FileZilla to WS_FTP Professional in FY2011. Support for FileZilla 3.3.x ended in FY2012.
WS_FTP Professional versions 12.2 and above function correctly in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Download WS_FTP Professional
Configuring WS_FTP Professional for SFTP
Follow the steps below to configure SFTP transfers with WS_FTP Professional to origin.www.upenn.edu.
- Launch WS_FTP Professional.
- From the Connections menu, choose New Connection... The Connection Wizard dialog box appears.
- In the Site Name: field, enter an appropriate name for your connection (such as origin.www.upenn.edu), then click Next.
- In the Connection Type: dropdown menu, choose SFTP/SSH, then click Next.
- In the Server Address: field, type origin.www.upenn.edu, then click Next.
- In the User Name: field, enter your account name, usually the same as your PennKey username
- In the Password: field, enter your password on origin.www.upenn.edu (Set your local password)
- Click Next, then click Advanced... The Site Options dialog box appears.
- Click Startup on the left sidebar. For the Remote site folder, enter the directory to which you have access (for example
/usr/local/ftp/[virtualhostname]/html/directoryname if you use a virtual host on origin.www.upenn.edu). Click OK.
- Click Finish to complete the profile.