Configuring iOS for ISC Email
This article provides instructions for configuring an iOS device for ISC-hosted email.
The Exchange and Zimbra collaboration suites can be accessed from iOS devices in two ways: Via ActiveSync, which will sync calendar, contacts, and email as well as some basic security policies, or via the web interface, which allows access to all of the above in addition to account preferences, tasks, and full search capabilities. In general, ActiveSync is best for user who want to keep tabs on their email and do general calendaring on the go. IMAP connectivity to Exchange or Zimbra for Android devices is not recommended.
Before connecting a Windows Phone device via ActiveSync, new ActiveSync users must have EAS enabled by the user's LSP. In order for access to be granted, the user will be requested to "sign" the PDA Terms of Service. After that has been accomplished, the following steps can be performed to begin syncing data to the device.
iOS devices running 4.2.1 or later can connect to Exchange via Exchange Active Sync (EAS). This works for iPhones, iPads, iPad minis, and iPod Touches. EAS allows push notifications of emails and calendar events.
Important note: if you are setting up your iOS device to synchronize with an Exchange server, you should not attempt to synchronize your calendar, contact, or email data through iTunes. It is recommended that you disable syncing this data in iTunes.
The instructions below are based on connecting to ISC's Exchange server. Please substitute your local Exchange information as necessary.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Select the Mail, Contacts, Calendars category.
- Select Add Account...
- Select Microsoft Exchange.
- In the Email field, enter your full Exchange email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Password field, enter your email password.
- In the Description field, enter ISC Exchange
- Click the Next button. You will see a message that states "Verifying" and then a more detailed Exchange screen.
- In the Server field, enter mail.exchange.upenn.edu
- In the Domain field, enter kite
- In the Username field, enter username, where username is your actual PennKey name.
- Click the Next button. You will see a message that states "Verifying" and then an Exchange screen which allows you to choose to sync Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders.
- Ensure the categories you wish to sync have the On toggle selected and click the Save button. You will be returned to the Mail, Contacts, Calendars screen and your Exchange data will begin to sync.
Your iOS device will now receive push updates from the Exchange server.
- Select Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Under Accounts, select Add Account..., then select Microsoft Exchange
- Under the Email field, enter the address in the email@example.com format.
- Leaving the domain field blank, enter the username in the Username field, followed by the user's local Zimbra password in the next field. (Note: The local password can be set/reset through the Zimbra web client's Account Services.)
- Select Next
- The device will attempt to Verify account information, and when it fails, it will allow an address to be input into the Server field. Enter mailbox.zimbra.upenn.edu
- Select Next. The device will verify the account information, which usually only takes a few seconds
- The next screen will allow the user to select which data they would like synchronized: Mail, Contacts, and/or Calendars. Contacts is disabled by default.
- Select Done. The phone will configure sync for Exchange, and when it finishes, the phone will be configured to sync data back and forth to the Zimbra server.
The device should also have a Passcode Lock applied, now that it is accessing potentially sensitive University data, in the form of contacts, email interactions, etc. If a Passcode Lock is not already applied, one can be enabled by opening Settings, General, Passcode Lock. The Require Passcode option should be set to no more than 1 hour, and the Erase Data option should be set to On.
Please note that the default timezone used by mail, contacts, and calendars can differ from the timezone used by the iOS devices for other applications. This can be configured by selecting Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and scrolling down to Time Zone Support, and comparing it to Settings, General, Date & Time, Time Zone.
Web Access Instructions
- Visit http://zimbra.upenn.edu from Safari mobile
- Log in with your PennKey and Password
- At the next screen, choose Standard (HTML) from the type dropdown menu and click Login
You should now see the Zimbra web interface optimized for an iOS device.